I am reminded that great proof for true servant-hood is Anonymity.
Poet Ruth Harms Calkin puts it this way:
"I Wonder"
You know Lord, how I serve you
With great emotional fervor
In the limelight.
You know how eagerly I speak for You
At a womens club.
You know how I effervesce when I promote
A fellowship group.
You know my genuine enthusiasm
At a Bible study.
But how would I react, I wonder
If You pointed to a basin of water
And asked me to wash the calloused feet
Of a bent and wrinkled old woman
Day after day
Month after month
In a room where nobody saw
And nobody knew.
This poem tore into my heart and caused great damage to self. Long ago I heard of not letting your right hand know what your left is doing and I understood what God was asking of me. But as I read this poem I asked myself just how faithful have I been to this principle and I realize how easily self makes his way to the front of every good deed.
Mold me Father, create in me a new heart. I wanna be like Jesus more and more.
Monday, April 19, 2010
~ ~ SERVING ANONYMOUSLY ~ ~
I am reminded that great proof for true servant-hood is Anonymity.
Poet Ruth Harms Calkin puts it this way:
"I Wonder"
You know Lord, how I serve you
With great emotional fervor
In the limelight.
You know how eagerly I speak for You
At a womens club.
You know how I effervesce when I promote
A fellowship group.
You know my genuine enthusiasm
At a Bible study.
But how would I react, I wonder
If You pointed to a basin of water
And asked me to wash the calloused feet
Of a bent and wrinkled old woman
Day after day
Month after month
In a room where nobody saw
And nobody knew.
This poem tore into my heart and caused great damage to self. Long ago I heard of not letting your right hand know what your left is doing and I understood what God was asking of me. But as I read this poem I asked myself just how faithful have I been to this principle and I realize how easily self makes his way to the front of every good deed.
Mold me Father, create in me a new heart. I wanna be like Jesus more and more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment