Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Winning Hand part 2

Like many Americans today I always believed that if you didn’t have what the Jones’ had then you were lacking in life. And if you had something nobody else had then you were really doing well because then everyone will desire what you have.

The sad truth is that though this is a world view it is also very prevalent in the church today, so even after coming to Christ I still struggled with my own self-worth. I believe that this type of thinking played a major role in my inability to gain a stable relationship with Christ and I found myself going in and out of church. It wasn’t until I began to learn from the Scriptures and get my identity from the Truths and Promises found in God’s Word that I was able to be truly satisfied and content in Christ. It doesn’t mean I have taken a vow of poverty and have learned to live without, it just means that I have learned to live happily with what I have, knowing that God does not only supply all my needs but is the Giver of all good gifts.

Jesus after warning us of the nature of the devil says this aabout Himself, “I have come to give life and life more abundantly!” John 10:10b That word abundant means, more, much and big! This means that I can expect much from God, I can expect more from God than what the world can offer me, and I can expect big things from God! Like not just my son getting saved but his children as well coming to know Christ as Savior, not just my bills being paid but having money left over to help others meet their own needs. It means not only will I be guarded from illness when everyone else around me is getting the flu or a cold but that He can heal me of major, life threatening diseases like Hepatitis or Diabetes!

Paul understood this as well and next time we will get further into the Scriptures and see what God has to say about the Hand we were dealt….

No comments: